Compiling Delphi components in C++ Builder

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Compiling Delphi components in C++ Builder

Postby uuderzo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello all! I'm new to the forum.

I used C++Builder since v3 (and, aehm, v1 for OS/2) but i never been an expert of its internal magics.

Now, after passing through CBC6, 2010 and so on, i'm stuck with a Rad Studio XE license and i'm on the fence to upgrade before Embarcadero drops all offers for XE users. But RAD Studio XE7 upgrade price is unaffordable for my little project and i'm thinking to revert to the C++Builder XE7 standalone, dropping the Delphi personality which i never used but to compile a couple of VCL components.

And here comes my question: Will C++Builder XE7 let me compile Delphi components to produce 64 bit Windows executables? In more detail, i need to compile Graphics32 package and PNGComponents package (i don't know if i can drop PNGComponents with XE7, maybe yes, don't know)

Thanks all for any answer! Umberto
uuderzo

Re: Compiling Delphi components in C++ Builder

Postby rlebeau » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:46 pm

uuderzo wrote:Will C++Builder XE7 let me compile Delphi components to produce 64 bit Windows executables?

If the Delphi personality is not installed in the IDE, you will have to use the Delphi command-line compiler (dcc32.exe), which is included in every version of C++Builder.

uuderzo wrote:i don't know if i can drop PNGComponents with XE7

Yes, you can. The VCL has its own built-in PNG classes now.
Last edited by rlebeau on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Re: Compiling Delphi components in C++ Builder

Postby uuderzo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks Remy!

This is exactly the info i was looking for! Well, now i discovered that my previous upgrade to RAD Studio was pretty useless (i never programmed in Delphi) because i had all the needed tools already in C++Builder standalone but, well, that's ok :)

Cheers! Umberto
uuderzo

Return to Technical