IP*Works versus Indy

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

IP*Works versus Indy

Postby smd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:02 am

IP*Works and Indy look similar. Anyone have a preference as to which is better to use?
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: IP*Works versus Indy

Postby rlebeau » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:44 pm

smd wrote:IP*Works and Indy look similar.

They are not even remotely similar. Different frameworks, different methodologies, different approaches. They may implement some of the same Internet protocols, but that is where their similarity ends.

smd wrote:Anyone have a preference as to which is better to use?

I have never used (or even looked at) IP*Works. So I have a bias towards Indy (but that could just be because I am the primarily developer of it).
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby sollmann » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 pm

I use /nsoftware, maintained a Red Carpet subscription for years.

I found IP* Works very helpful using several of the components in applications using Soap/XML for corporate API and also using UDP component for talking to GPS trackers directly. I love them.

I've just recently downloaded XE8 evaluation but noticed that IP* Works doesn't look like it is included. I was playing with the Indy UDP component and have the same problems in the early days... It seemed difficult to get the components to work. I suspect once you "know the recipe" it is a breeze... I do recall struggling initially with IP* Works as well...

With IPWorks UDPPort you can do 2-way UDP, but for the Indy Chat program example, it appears you would need an Indy UDPClient and UDPServer component. So I was somewhat confused.

Like Remy commented, it is really what you are familiar with. Both seem to be adequately defined to solve problems ... Half the battle is just picking which path and moving forward.

Now that I know Remy is an active member and familiar with the component family, I may make a serious attempt at adding Indy to my skill set. Save some serious $$$ as well! :)
sollmann

Postby rlebeau » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:07 am

sollmann wrote:With IPWorks UDPPort you can do 2-way UDP, but for the Indy Chat program example, it appears you would need an Indy UDPClient and UDPServer component.

That is not a requirement. You can do 2-way communication with TIdUDPClient, and 2-way communication with TIdUDPServer. Both components can send outbound packets. The difference is in how you receive incoming packets. With TIdUDPClient, you have to call ReceiveBuffer() or ReceiveString() and let it block until data arrives (or times out). With TIdUDPServer, you have to use the OnUDPRead event instead.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Return to Technical