Which Version Control to use

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Which Version Control to use

Postby smd » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Normally I work alone on my programs. Using a version control system never seemed to be worth the effort. But now I am considering using one. RAD Studio comes with Git, Subversion and Mercurial. I have never used the systems and would like others opinions.

1) What is your opinion regarding using a version control system?

2) What problems have you encountered using a version control system?

3) What version control system do you use?
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: Which Version Control to use

Postby rlebeau » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:04 pm

smd wrote:RAD Studio comes with Git, Subversion and Mercurial.

More accurately, it comes with support for them. you still have to actually install and create a repository for RADStudio to connect to.

smd wrote:I have never used the systems and would like others opinions.

I have never used Git or Mecurial. For a single developer, a local SVN respository works pretty well.

smd wrote:1) What is your opinion regarding using a version control system?

Must have. On the other hand, modern IDE versions have a History feature that locally track recent changes to source files. That might be all you really need, if you don't really care about maintaining full change history.

smd wrote:3) What version control system do you use?

I started out with TeamCoherence, first for the Indy project, then later for my day job, and then for my personal projects. It was an awesome VCS, and it had native C++Builder/RADStudio integration. But it fell off the radar for a long time (QSC/MCN went dark and stopped responding to our support emails, but I just now saw that a new version was released a few months ago, so maybe they have resurrected themselves).

Indy eventually switched to SVN.

At my day job, a catastrophic server failure corrupted our TC repository and backups beyond recovery (by that time, QSC was dark, so we could get recovery help), so my company started over with TFS (which it was already using for .NET projects), using SVN for sharing our EXE releases between our various Dev/QA departments.

I miss TC :( I will have to look at it again for my personal projects, at least.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Re: Which Version Control to use

Postby smd » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:51 am

Still poking around at version control systems. Fossil looks interesting. it is the version control used by SQLite developers.

http://fossil-scm.org

Looks simpler than Git and Mercurial. Still investigating....
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Return to Technical