Windows 10

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Windows 10

Postby pidgi2009 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:22 am

Just wanted to share.
Using RAD Studio XE7, on Windows 7, a few third party components. Serious hobbyist, not a pro.
I did the jump, migrating to Windows 10. Happy in general, but finding the security a bit intrusive.
Then, suddenly, unable to link any project. They compile OK, but the linker was unable to create the numerous files it uses for linking.
Strangely, I was still able to compile with XE2, which I keep for a few softwares on old Windows XP machines. And my laptop (but a bit too slow for daily work) was able to compile and link in Windows 10!
Thinking it was a security problem, I did dive deeply, searching the Net, trying to lower Windows security, then try to create another account with more privileges, then reinstalled all my RAD Studio XE7, then... then... then... Spent two days on the problem.
The solution was simple: my computer is a HP. On those, an environment variable is automatically created, "Platform", given the value "HP". But for the linker in RAD Studio a variable with the very same name exists and must have the value "Win32".
I just overrode the value in the Options of RAD Studio and now everything works as before.
Problem solved, just wanted to share in case somebody else suffers the same ailment!
pidgi2009
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Re: Windows 10

Postby rlebeau » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:11 am

pidgi2009 wrote:The solution was simple: my computer is a HP. On those, an environment variable is automatically created, "Platform", given the value "HP". But for the linker in RAD Studio a variable with the very same name exists and must have the value "Win32".

IIRC, the IDE/compiler/linker is supposed to throw an error if there is a conflicting Platform variable in the system environment. For example:

Code: Select all
[Error Error] Invalid PLATFORM variable "BWS". PLATFORM must be one of the following: "Win32", "Win64", "Android", "iOSSimulator", "iOSDevice", or "OSX32". If PLATFORM is defined by your system's environment, it must be overridden in the RAD Studio IDE or passed explicitly on the command line to MSBuild; e.g., /p:Platform=Win32.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Re: Windows 10

Postby pidgi2009 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:33 pm

In fact, PLATFORM was 'redefined' to an empty string after migrating to Windows 10. I had to modify the overridden variable to Win32 instead of nothing.
pidgi2009
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Return to Technical