help! application works fine on one win10 PC but not another

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

help! application works fine on one win10 PC but not another

Postby Azazaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:40 am

Hey guys,

I have an Advantage 11 database application that works absolutely fine on my XE8 development computer. And up until two days ago, always worked fine on my deployment computer. Both are PC desktops with Windows 10 installed.

But two days ago, the latest iteration of the application suddenly started freezing up solid on the deployment computer with the error dialog:

Exception EADSNativeException in module XE8_nfo.exe at 00C906AA.
[FireDAC][Phys][ADS] Error 7200: AQE Error: State = 07002; NativeError = 2141; [iAnywhere Solutions][Advantage SQL Engine]Parameter missing.

I don't generally have the IDE or anything else installed on the deployment computer, so it isn't immediately convenient to try to debug this, and before I go to all that trouble, I thought I'd come here.

Whenever something makes no sense to me, I come here and see if anyone has any insight?

It's very strange to me because the same code base / application works without any such error on the development computer, run inside or outside of the IDE.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of thing before? And/or any ideas what could be happening?
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: help! application works fine on one win10 PC but not ano

Postby 2ffat » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am

My first thought is something has changed on the PC not the program. Has any software be added or changed, any updates installed?
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby Azazaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 am

That was my first thought as well.

Very little has changed. No new Windows updates, no Advantage updates ....

I will have to review a bit, though. I do seem to recall upgrading Serviio recently and maybe something else. Nothing I would be inclined to think would cause an SQL engine error in Advantage though ...

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

Serviio and the Chrome Browser were updated 2 days ago.

Hmm. Maybe time to try a system restore.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:30 am

Okay. I did a system restore and the application is working again.

The only program affected, according to the restore scan, was Chrome.

So ... maybe I will stop using it now. Or at least for awhile.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby 2ffat » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 am

Interesting. I would have thought Serviio would have been the culprit. Watch and let us know. Thanks.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby rlebeau » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:49 pm

If you update Chrome again and the app then breaks, you know Chrome is the culprit. Go see what changed in Chrome recently, and figure out how it is interacting with your app and/or Advantage.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby Azazaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:55 pm

I assumed too much too soon.

Turns out the restore scan lied to me. It also restored the 2-day old version of my software.

And the latest version again locks up, but only on this system.

So it wasn't Chrome after all.

As for Serviio, I was suspicious of it. Before wrongly concluding it was Chrome, I had installed an older version of it over the current version, but it didn't help. I also reinstalled the Advantage 11 server just in case. Obviously, that didn't help either.

I guess I will try uninstalling Serviio altogether and clean the registry a bit and see whether that helps any.

This is one of the stranger problems I've seen. It just makes no sense to me. If it was just locking up, it would be a mystery ... but the SQL message saying a parameter is missing, that's like, well it seems a bit beyond mysterious ... how can a parameter be missing if it isn't missing on the development computer?!

Makes no sense to me.

Hope I don't have to reset or reinstall Win10. Ugh.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:24 pm

No dice.

I uninstalled Serviio, cleaned the registry with Glary Utilities, cold booted and the problem persists.

It locks up when a query gets executed in a background thread. If that helps any.

I guess I'll be adding a bunch of logging info to the executable and/or try building it from the deployment machine soon and/or resetting/reinstalling Win10 ...

Any other suggestions -- especially if it means avoiding the last -- would be very welcome!

Thanks.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby theLizard » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:52 pm

I won't pretend I know what is going on here but, and this is a random thought, is the database you are using on your deployment machine the same as the dev machine, has anything changed in one of the tables your app is attempting to get results from?
theLizard
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby Azazaz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:03 am

They aren't the exact same tables. But I don't think there are any differences in their structure.

I've examined the tables and don't see any differences, but this gives me the notion that I should try running the software on the deployment pc with the exact same tables I have on the development pc just in case I've overlooked something.

I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:17 am

Okay ... the application DOES work with the new tables ... so ... apparently something has been corrupted in the other tables (more likely) or I overlooked some structural change (less likely).

On the other hand, the older version of the application worked fine with the old tables and I'm not aware of having changed any of the queries or parameters in the interim. I'm getting old, but I don't think so old that I would completely forget doing that!

Hmm. Oh well.

This is progress -- a pretty big step. Thanks for getting me on this track!!

Anyhow, the error message wasn't helpful at all, was it? Parameter missing? Not the trouble at all.

Thanks again!!

Now I guess I need to look more carefully at those old tables ...
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby Azazaz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:49 am

Nothing is simple, is it?

So ... it wasn't anything corrupt about the tables after all.

I copied the tables into the development environment and started getting the same error. But it was also throwing lots of exceptions, almost at random.

So I kept setting break points and examining the code, but could not figure things out. The places it was throwing exceptions were ridiculous, like throwing an exception when the code was checking the value of a bool, which was most definitely defined. Or comparing a couple of integers, also most definitely defined. It made no sense.

I kept rewriting the code and renaming variables and such and finally, I think, found the culprit.

I'm using FireDAC components for accessing the ADS, and for the first time ever the other day, I added code to refresh the record of a table, i.e., RefreshRecord.

Now why this did not cause trouble with the test tables, I don't know, but it was apparently the culprit when it came to the older, larger tables. Maybe their additional size was the trouble? -- as the test tables had only a very few records.

Anyway, I had only added that code because I'd seen some trouble with the data not always being immediately updated before running the query. When I commented that call to RefreshRecord out, the problem went away -- ALL the problems went away and have not come back for several hours now on either machine.

Anyhow, problem solved, I think. Depends on whether I really needed that call to RefreshRecord or not, but so far as I can tell, things are working okay ...

If anyone has an explanation as to why/how that call to RefreshRecord could cause such a thing, I would sure like to know. Thanks!
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby 2ffat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:05 pm

Glad you figured it out. Maybe RefreshTable does need more parameters than you thought. I don't use Advantage DB but I will have to keep an eye out for Thunderbird.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Technical