This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Postby pidgi2009 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 am

I have a problem, i cannot solve by myself.
I wrote something that will become a game. It is about evolution of animal species in different environnements. I do write in French, with the accents (planète, évolution, créatures, and the like). My app has many Buttons, labeled in French. And a few Labels, Captions are also in French.
My small thing works flawlessly on my computer, in Québec. But my son, in Tokyo, Japan, has a glitch. The Buttons are all correctly labeled, even with the accents. But as soon as there are modified Captions in Memo, or Labels, accents are replaced with Japanese garbage characters (not related to the text), text is hardly readable.
I tried to use String(), UnicodeString() (they are the same...), WideString(), AnsiString() around the text I send to the Labels, uselessly. Changing the CodePage in the C++ Advanced Settings does’t help.
Any idea?
pidgi2009
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Re: Localisation

Postby rlebeau » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 pm

pidgi2009 wrote:But as soon as there are modified Captions in Memo, or Labels, accents are replaced with Japanese garbage characters (not related to the text), text is hardly readable.
I tried to use String(), UnicodeString() (they are the same...), WideString(), AnsiString() around the text I send to the Labels, uselessly. Changing the CodePage in the C++ Advanced Settings does’t help.
Any idea?

Hard to say without knowing which version of C++Builder you are using, how you are localizing your project, and what your code looks like that is trying to use localized strings. Please provide more details about your setup.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Re: Localisation

Postby pidgi2009 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:03 am

RAD Studio 10.3
I did not try to localize, meaning that everything is written in French, for French users. For the moment. Later, once debugged and fluent, I will.
I live in Québec, Canada, all the language settings are default, but almost all in French. I have 3 of my 6 children living far away: China, Japan, Germany. No problem using the small game in China, nor in Germany, nor here in Canada. Only in Japan was he unable to read the text.
Finally, problem solved: my son just changed a few settings in his own Windows on his computer and now the strings are correctly shown.
Sorry.
pidgi2009
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Return to Technical