installing BCB5 and bcb/RAD Studio 2007 on same machine

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

installing BCB5 and bcb/RAD Studio 2007 on same machine

Postby martinf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:03 am

Are there any caveats to installing both BCB5 and RAD Studio 2007 on the same box?

I finally have a machine that is powerful enough for the new package, and with their special on until the end of June where you can buy the whole Studio for the price of one personality, it's too good to pass up.

Also, any known nasty Vista 32 problems using BCB5?

Thanks much,

Martin
martinf

Postby stukelly » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:57 pm

In the past I've used BCB6 and C++Builder 2006 without any problems.

However, I would recommend installing BCB5 on a virtual machine, with Windows 2000 or XP. VMWare Server, Virtual PC and VirtualBox are all free.
stukelly
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby arisme » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am

Stu wrote:However, I would recommend installing BCB5 on a virtual machine, with Windows 2000 or XP. VMWare Server, Virtual PC and VirtualBox are all free.

Any experiences, thoughts, recommendations as to which of the three VMs is best?

I spent many years with BCB4. A few shortcomings, but nothing significant, and for my main line of work (databases and analytical tools), if it compiled it worked well. However, BCB4 did not sit happily alongside BCB6 trial - the registry entry for the debugger needed to be reset for each flavour, and there were one or two funny side effects.

I needed to upgrade because of a Web Services project, and now run BDS2006 in XP Pro SP2.

I am toying with the idea of reinstalling the old favourite BCB4 in a virtual machine, as a lot (a wagon load) of the legacy stuff does not need anything from later BCB versions, and can be most easily maintained in BCB4.

I would appreciate your views.

Aris
arisme
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby stukelly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 pm

I started out with Virtual PC, but found it too slow. The last time I installed Windows on Virtual PC it simulated the entire disk format. VMWare just raced though.

Next I switched to VMWare Server, which was great, but more than I really need. Last year, I bought VMWare Workstation and use it every day for development.

Our legacy code is maintained on virtual machine with Windows 2000 with BCB6 installed. Any new code is done on another virtual machine with Windows XP with BDS2006 installed.

Personally I would recommend VMWare Workstation, its only about £110
http://www.qbssoftware.com/product_info.aspx?current=OVERVIEW&product=VMWAREWS
stukelly
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby rlebeau » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:39 pm

stukelly wrote:Next I switched to VMWare Server, which was great, but more than I really need. Last year, I bought VMWare Workstation and use it every day for development.

I use VMWare Server as well. The only drawback is it only supports 1 snapshot at a time. I have been considering VMWare Workstation just to get that feature.

Here is an interesting thing I just found the other day:

http://www.vmware.com/whatsnew/thinstall.html

With this, you could virtualize just BCB 4 by itself amd run it on any machine without having to virtualize an entire OS. Since the Registry is sandboxed, there would be no conflicts with other BCB versions on the same machine.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby arisme » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:29 pm

Stu,
Stu wrote:Personally I would recommend VMWare Workstation,...

Thanks for the background picture. Your recommendation confirms the impression I got from the site.

Gambit,
Gambit wrote:Here is an interesting thing I just found the other day:
http://www.vmware.com/whatsnew/thinstall.html
With this, you could virtualize just BCB 4 by itself amd run it on any machine without having to virtualize an entire OS.

That does indeed look interesting, and would be suitable for a significant portion of the legacy code. I will be exploring that when the migration to a new machine and Builder 2007 has bedded down.

Thank you both, a great help.

Aris
arisme
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Return to Technical