When does XE8 Release?

This is the forum for general discussion.

Moderator: 2ffat

When does XE8 Release?

Postby smd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:59 am

Anyone know when Embarcadero is scheduling to release XE8?
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: When does XE8 Release?

Postby rlebeau » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 pm

That information has not been released yet.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby smd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Well the answer appears to be Today (April 7). Got an email today

Embarcadero Technologies is pleased to announce the release of RAD Studio XE8, Delphi XE8 and C++Builder XE8.

So now it looks like I get to waste the next 4 hours uninstalling then watching the computer blink for 4 hours as it installs the new version
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby smd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:16 pm

12:05 started the XE7 uninstall.

Oh the joy, watching the uninstall progress creep very, very, slowly forward as it removes XE7 preparing to put XE8 onto my computer. Looks like this is going to be a World of Warcraft afternoon. Oh wait, the XE8 installer is going to spend an hour or more downloading multi-gigabytes of data which is going to eat all my internet bandwidth. Guess I can catch up on some reading using a good old fashion paper printed book :roll:

12:35

It is still uninstalling. Shows it is uninstalling the Boost libraries. Why does the boost libraries take so long? ugh. :?

12:48

Still uninstalling Boost libraries. I do not even use them. why did I bother to install them?

12:51

The uninstall finally finished. now to do some disk cleanup before doing the install.
Deleted the c:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\15 folder
Ran CCleaner registry scan. Lots of left over registry entries. cleaned them all up.
Reboot.

1:05

Exactly an hour after I began, The Rad Studio Enterprise XE8 install process begins.
Made the mistake with XE7 of not turning off my anti-virus. Turn it off. Else it will occasionally pop-up with warnings and crash the install. I just set it to disable until reboot. then it automatically restarts when I reboot.

1:45

Finally at the setup ready to start screen. Since the install includes Fast Report, Codesite, Collabnet Subversion, and a couple others I do not remember, I decided to uninstall the current versions first. Then Cleaned up the disk and registry, then reboot, check everything before starting. Best to do the uninstalls to prevent conflicts between new/old versions.

And away we go. pressing next to begin.... now another very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, long wait begins while it does the install

4:30

I went outside... big glowing ball in the sky... makes my skin warm and my eyes squint.... went to the gym to exercise via osmosis... I sit in the Jacuzzi watching other people exercise... so tiring having to move from one bubble jet to another, let alone the climb out of that bubbly water.... stopped at a Mexican restaurant to read the paper and eat a late lunch... just returned.

Install program shows 90% complete. While typing this, the install just finished. now to see if it works.

4:50

Rad Studio registered and up and running.

First Impressions without looking too deeply yet

Interface looks cleaner
Help file looks like they might have cleaned it up a bit. Will have to poke around more before I commit to that statement. Has not crashed yet (but it is still early).
Launches slightly faster than XE7
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby HsiaLin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:23 pm

hehe, my installs used to take most of the night.
I got a 6 core i7 pc now and it installs in about 15 mins.
HsiaLin
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Return to General