Updating to Rad XE 10 Seattle

This is the forum for general discussion.

Moderator: 2ffat

Updating to Rad XE 10 Seattle

Postby MWeingarden » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:49 am

I am writing applications for desktop systems Win 7 / Win 10 using RAD Studio XE7. What are your recommendations for updating to XE10? Are there sufficient improvements in the IDE and VCL components to warrant the time and expense of updating?

Thank you
MWeingarden

Re: Updating to Rad XE 10 Seattle

Postby 2ffat » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 am

I like XE10 much better than I have the previous versions. I've had fewer problems with XE10 than the others. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of all the options that it provides. For example, I thinking about moving forward and using the new compiler instead of the older one that the previous versions use. XE10 allows you to choose. II would also recommend getting the annual upgrade service. It pays for itself quickly.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Updating to Rad XE 10 Seattle

Postby rlebeau » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Do note that, while the new C++11 32bit compiler is a nice addition, it is not without its share of problems, either. Browse/search the Embarcadero forums and you will see some of them discussed. For example, the linker doesn't always work nice with it in some configurations. Sometimes the only solution is to go back to the "classic" Borland compiler.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Return to General