No magazine?

This is the forum for general discussion.

Moderator: 2ffat

No magazine?

Postby OldDeadOne » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:14 am

Been a long time since I viewed the Journal and had it for one year with it as print,visited the site again and it's web only in adobe format? What did I miss in between?
OldDeadOne
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 2ffat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:02 am

In order to keep costs down, it was decided to move the format to the web with PDF and code downloads. Check out the subscription options. IMHO, you'll like it.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby mhoemann » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:22 pm

Yeah, I've still got all of my old print ones from 99 & 2000. Occasionally, I still pull them out for a trick or two 8)

Ahh, correct me if I'm wrong, but C++ Builder doesn't seem to have the draw it used to.
I think it's a lot like Jazz music... everybody knows it's amazing, but because people don't appreciate greatness anymore, they radiate towards trendy pop and manufactured garbage. :roll:[/bitter]
Last edited by mhoemann on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhoemann
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Postby 2ffat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am

I got the CD with all the old issues on it. Every month I grap the PDFs and save them. Adobe has an applet that allows you to use MS search engine to look up items in PDFs. That way, if I can't get on the internet, I can search the mags on my PC.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby smays » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Sometimes during lunch I like to peruse old online articles and sometimes when I am looking for 'inspiration', I also peruse the old online articles. When I find an article in which I am interested, I use my new HP color laser jet, which is capable of printing on both sides automatically, and I make my *own* magazine.

Although a printed version would be pretty cool (I mean it really would be pretty cool to have a printed version), *remember*, we don't have to put up with all the advertisements. To read the articles, you just, well, read the articles. You don't have to flip past a bunch of advertisements to get to an article and then read around the advertisements practically embedded in the article.

I like BCBJournal, and I plan to support it as long as I can. I desperately wish I had heard of it back in 2000, when I discovered C++ Builder version 4.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby rlebeau » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:51 pm

mhoemann wrote:Ahh, correct me if I'm wrong, but C++ Builder doesn't seem to have the draw it used to.

I chalk that up to Borland not developing BCB for a few years. After BCB 6 was released, they dropped it for a long time. They even end-of-lifed the BCB product line for awhile. They created the C++BuilderX (CBX) IDE instead, which had nothing to do with BCB or the VCL. It was their attempt at a cross-platform, cross-toolset IDE. So while Delphi 7, 8, and 9 were being developed, BCB was effectively dead. It fell under the radar, some people jumped ship to other compilers, etc. Then for the BDS 2006 release, they dropped CBX, revived the BCB product line, and brought it up-to-date with Delphi 2006. Then after (or during?) BDS 2007 was released, they brought in Alistair Meredith as the new C++ product manager, and BCB has been getting a lot of focus from CodeGear once again.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby stukelly » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am

Maybe you could publish the journal on Lulu, so people can buy printed copies and you can generate some more revenue.

The back issues could be made into one big book, which would be great for reference.

We use Lulu for all our software manuals, so customers can choose to buy one.
stukelly
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby 2ffat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:42 am

BCB has been getting a lot of focus from CodeGear once again.

Related to this I notice CodeGear has published a roadmap for Delphi and C++. The next version is supposed to be out the second quarter of this year.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to General