Boost libraries to use in C++Builder

This is the forum to discuss the Journal's content, article suggestions, etc.

Moderator: 2ffat

Boost libraries to use in C++Builder

Postby S0mbre » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:06 am

It has recently occurred to me that, what with many articles devoted to boost libraries strewn across various Internet resources, there have really been few (if any) in-depth articles on using these libraries with C++Builder. We all know that previously Borland and now Embarcadero has been shipping C++Builder with a selection of the most used boost libraries and interfaces, but many know as well that not all of them work as would be desirable. See, for instance, discussions on the Embarcadero forum here or here.

It would be great, I think, if someone wrote a review of which handy boost libraries are usable in C++Builder applications, with a few examples. E.g. I, for one, would be happy to learn how to use boost::regex and boost::thread.
S0mbre
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Boost libraries to use in C++Builder

Postby 2ffat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:59 am

There's been a few articles on boost, e.g., Januay 2010 [Using Boost: circular_buffer (M. Smith)] and March 2010 [Using Boost: Boost.Any (M. Smith)].
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby S0mbre » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks for the links! Still, it would be great to read some more articles on boost. It seems that despite the Boost libraries' obvious power, they aren't in fact so popular with many C++Builder developers. And one reason for it might be the fact there aren't many articles with good examples of how and when to use them.
S0mbre
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby stephen.terrell » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:51 pm

I feel that a series of "how to use boost" articles starting with the assumption of familiarity with Builder but knowing nothing about Boost or how to use it within Builder would be very interesting for me and would probably help spread its use amongst others.

The lack of recent Builder books and sometimes rather truncated documentation & help makes it very difficult to understand, use and take full advantages of new features such as Boost.

Indy has similar problems. There is little on the Indy web site about how to use Indy in the more recent builder versions. This can result in a valuable resource being ignored because it is so hard to understand how it is used and what it can do.
stephen.terrell
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby wewaa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 pm

8)
wewaa

Return to Articles