'Simple' Forum Request

This is the forum to discuss the Journal's website.

Moderator: 2ffat

'Simple' Forum Request

Postby smays » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 am

Is it possible to create an FAQ explaining some of the basic functions available to post and reply creation? For example, how does one attach/embed images in a post or reply?

Thanks,
Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Re: 'Simple' Forum Request

Postby 2ffat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Hmmm... I always thought it was self evident as the buttons are shown across the top of the text box when you start a thread or post a reply. One of those is the Img button which creates the necessary BBCode for attaching images. In addition, there is an attachment tab below the text box, too. I looked in the FAQ and all it mentions is to look at the buttons. I'm not certain I can create a FAQ but I will check.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby smays » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I clicked the Img button above where I type my text and the "img" tags appeared. I then clicked "Upload attachment" and specified the file (bitmap image) I was trying to show and clicked okay. I checked the post after I submitted my response and there was no image. I am sure I did something wrong, I just don't know what.

Thanks,
Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby 2ffat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Whoops! I didn't make myself clear. Sorry. :oops: Between the image tags, you need to specify the URL or address of where the image resides. It has to be on a web server. The attachment link below simply allows you to attach a file, like a cpp file.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby rlebeau » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:47 am

smays wrote:I clicked the Img button above where I type my text and the "img" tags appeared. I then clicked "Upload attachment" and specified the file (bitmap image) I was trying to show and clicked okay. I checked the post after I submitted my response and there was no image. I am sure I did something wrong, I just don't know what.

The Img tag is for referrencing external URLs, not attachments. Hover your mouse over the Img button, and it shows as much in the popup hint.

When you attach a file, a "Place inline" button appears next to the attachment. That inserts an Attachment tag into the reply text to refer to that attachment.

Please read phpBB's documentation for more information.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby smays » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:44 am

2ffat, can you share the list of acceptable file types? Does the list include any image formats?

Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby 2ffat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:56 am

I will have to look into it. I moderate these forums but I don't deal with the "behind-the-scene" much.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby 2ffat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am

Most image and archive files are permitted but it looks like there is a limit of 256 KB. I didn't see any orphaned files from you, either.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Website