Website Restored and Forum Preview

This is the forum to discuss the Journal's website.

Moderator: 2ffat

Website Restored and Forum Preview

Postby Damon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 am

Folks,

I apologize for the issues that many of you were having with our website. We recently switched to a new server, which means that it took a few days for the new IP to propagate through the DNS system. (Some linke may still be flaky for a few more days.)

I have also considered upgrading the forum to run off of the new version of phpBB (version 3, currently version 2). If you want to see what it would look like--under a stock template--please visit: http://bcbjournal.org/forums3/

Note that the above site isn't sync'd with this forum, so any posts at the above site will eventually be lost.

I've heard at least one negative comment regarding the layout of the above forum, but there are advantages of the new version of phpBB. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

For the time being, we will continue to use the existing forum.

Thanks,
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Postby 2ffat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:16 am

I'm not sure my poor heart can take it!!! First one site and then the new and then the first site again. What's next????? ;-)

Actually, I like the new site but it may take a while to get used to it. My only complaint is the "New Posts" icon doesn't show up as brighter or bolder when there are new posts as I would like. My poor, tired eyes and all that.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby minas » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 am

About the new site , I think that the color of the titles in topics list must be of black color so will be more readable (like the original site ). Also the fonts inside a topic to be like the original site . Of course if all these are possible

Best Regards

Minas
-
minas
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby stukelly » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:43 am

I like the new forum layout. Any time scale for when the move to phpBB 3 will take place?
stukelly
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby arisme » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:19 pm

New server - not a concern.
Next version phpBB - by all means, if technical gains justify.

New format - a personal plea for good typesetting:-
Ask anybody who reads a reasonable amount of printed matter such as books, journals and newsprint whether they prefer the printed page or a page on a computer display, and most will opt for the printed version.

The reason for this preference is fairly straightforward - typesetting quality. The art of typesetting has evolved over the centuries since Gutenberg, until the fonts, characters, spacing and page layouts produce something that places minimal demand on the human visual processing system.

The effect of characteristics that only impact on the peripheral vision of the reader is something that is often overlooked by the designers of websites. When these transgress what might be regarded as good typesetting practice, it places a strain on the reader's visual system that interferes with the primary purpose of the page, which is to convey information.

In that respect, the present format is very good - 'easy on the eye' sums it up. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the sample format, despite several visits.

Of course, human adaptability means that we gradually become accustomed to coping with less than optimal environments. However, I do not believe that this flexibility makes a case for aiming for less than the best at all times.

Aris
arisme
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Re: Website Restored and Forum Preview

Postby Damon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

As you might have noticed, I tweaked the colors to promote visibility. I think the new forum's typesetting now better matches the previous forum's typesetting. If there's anything else that you wanted tweaked, let me know, and I will do my best to accomodate.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Re: Website Restored and Forum Preview

Postby minas » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi All,

I wish the best for the new forum :)
One thing to note , that is missing(on the top) a link to the Journal's index page.

Best Regards

Minas
-
minas
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Return to Website